Monday, February 28, 2011

Tips: Navigating Chicago's Icy Sidewalks


On my every day commute to school, I make two choices. Either, take Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) bus from a stop right before my apartment to the nearest train station or walk three blocks and hop on the Red Line.
I have always liked the latter option, rain or shine. However, this morning was different. I slipped off twice and almost fell each time. Then I realized that it will be a better idea to ride the bus instead of walking to the train stop and risk falling again. In short, never before did I fear for my personal safety like I did today.
Overnight light snow showers left a dust of ice on the sidewalks making everyone’s commute difficult.
Similarly, when I got off the train at Truman, I headed east on Wilson to get myself a regular cup of latte from the Dunkin Donut across Broadway street. Shockingly, I saw a Truman female student trip and fall just three steps from CTA bus 78 at Broadway-Wilson intersection. She barely survived being ran over.
My Linh Tran, Head of Registrar’s Department, said, “It’s a lot of slippery outside, this morning.” As a result of the slickly street conditions, commuters have to walk slowly even when this means taking longer time to get to one’s destination.
Icy sidewalks pose a challenge to personal safety and to public mobility. Please check out the link below on how to navigate icy sidewalks:

No comments:

Post a Comment