Tuesday, May 10, 2011

FAITH AND HOPE


 I met two middle aged men sitting before an old high rise building while I was out to shoot environmental photos for a class assignment, on Wednesday, Apr. 4, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. I started a conversation with them in which each responded differently. One seemed uninterested while the other whom I will refer to as Bill continued to chat with me. I asked Bill for an opportunity to pose for my photo shoot and he agreed.
As I took one picture after another, he began to ask me questions on why I was taking the photos and what I would do with them afterward. Questions I answered honestly.
Interestingly, he opened up to me and even shared that he was a student in the same school whose project I was working on some 30 years ago, at a time when I was not even born. Then he wanted to study for a degree in Registered Nursing but failed to secure admission due to stiff competition for limited seats. Nonetheless, he still nurses the idea of coming back to school to finish his education and he even encouraged me to work hard at mine.
I advised Bill to listen to his inner call and find his direction in life even if that means going back to school he quit three decades ago. Unfortunately, Bill also acknowledged that he fell through the cracks and was now past his prime age. So going back to school would not be an easy task.
Bad things happen to good people. Life’s experiences are however sweet lessons for reflection. Two things one needs in those circumstances are faith and hope. Confidence in your own skin and trusting yourself are the first steps to build a strong faith, not only to start but also to accomplish any project. Once you have a sense of faith, hope that, despite the difficult challenges of life, you can get through is essential. Hope thus helps you endure hardships until you finally earn the fruits of your endeavors.
            For a related story of hope, please check out: http://www.guideposts.org/personal-growth/advice-finding-hope-after-catastrophic-loss

No comments:

Post a Comment